A. Choose one of the words given in the brackets to fill in the blanks.
1. Would you please ______ how the accident happened yesterday? (description, describe, descriptive)
2. Dick still doesn’t know the ______ of practicing speaking English both in and out of class. (important, unimportant, importance)
3. Sometimes the misunderstanding between people from different countries is caused by ______ difference.(culturally, culture, cultural)
4. The old temple which was destroyed in the big fire has been ______. (build, rebuild, rebuilt)
5. When he was reading the poem, he was deeply moved by its ______. (beautiful, beautifully, beauty)
6. In some Asia countries English is their ______ language. (office, officer, official)
B. Fill in the blanks with the proper form of the words given in the table.
1. He paid twenty dollars for his dinner in the restaurant, which did not ______ the tip.
2. The ______ of the water in the river is becoming more and more serious because waste water from factories is poured into it without being cleaned.
3. In order to stop the grassland from being destroyed, the number of sheep and cows that the farmers raise should be ______.
4. It is said that this old temple is a ______ of the Tang Dynasty.
5. A meeting is being held to discuss the housing development ______ of the city.
6. This play successfully ______ the hard life of the poor farmers of China before liberation.
7. In ______ times people did not know how to grow plants or raise animals, and they made their living by hunting wild animals and pick wild fruits.
8. Stephen Hawking is considered to be the greatest ______ physicist in the world after Albert Einstein.
9.Laws have been made to ______ wild animals that are in danger.
A. Fill in the blanks with the proper form of the verbs given in the brackets.
1.Now computers ______widely ______ (use) in families all over the country.
2.My watch __________(repair), and now it keeps good time.
3.All the people who were injured in the accident __________ (send) to hospital and they are out of danger now.
4.--- ______ your lost pen __________ (find) yet?
.---Yes. I found it under my bed.
5.Tom________ (not allow) to go home because he hasn’t finished his exercises yet.
1. are…used 2. has been repaired 3. have been sent 4. has…been found 5. is not allowed
B. Multiple choice
1. He Has written a new book which ______ the facts that he collected during his trip in Africa.
A. based on B. is based on C. is basing on D. bases on
2. The students who study ______history know that the May 4th movement is one of the greatest events in _____ history of China.
A. /; the B. a; the C. the; the D. /; /
3.The people of China will never forget the terrible earthquake which completely ______ the city of Tangshan in 1976.
A. damaged B. destroyed C. burnt D. pulled down
4.When I asked the doctor how I could improve my health, he gave me ______ that I should do more exercise.
A. a advice B. some advices
C. an advice D. a piece of advice
5.Though he had felt that English was difficult to learn, he never _______, and finally he succeeded.
A. gave up B. gave in C. gave out D. both A and B
6. I thought the two foreigners are ______ while in fact they are ______.
A. Englishmen; Germans B. Englishmen; Germen
C. Englishmans; Germans D. Englishmen; Germany
7.______ the help of my English teacher, I have made great progress in my English.
A. Under B. For C. With D. By
8. I need only one more stamp to ______ my set of cock year stamps.
A. finish B. complete C. whole D. make
9.My father always tells me that as long as I work hard my wish to be a scientist will surely ______.
A. come about B. happen C. take place D. come true
10.Because of the hard work of the farmers the desert finally ______ rich farmland.
A. changed B. turned C. turned into D. turned to
11.In the north people sometimes tie straw ropes (草绳) round the trees in winter to ______ them from the cold.
A. stop B. prevent C. save D. protect
12.Tom went out of his room quietly ______ being seen by anybody.
A. with B. without C. from D. through
13.To the teacher’s surprise, it is the youngest boy in the class who finally ______ the difficult problem.
A. solved B. answered C. worked D. did
14.The poor boy whose parents both died in a traffic accident can’t help ______ the happy time when he was with his parents when he saw the old family picture.
A. thinking of B. think of C. think D. thinking
15.He paid thirty yuan to post the moon cake, not ______ the charge (费用) for the container.
A. keeping B. taking C. including D. containing
1. B 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. D 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. D 10. C 11. D 12. B 13. A 14. A 15. C
III. Choose the proper items to complete the dialogue.
A: Good morning, sir. _____1_____.
B: How nice.
A: Yes, I’m afraid we’ve got a complaint (投诉) about the noise from your neighbour. He’s trying to get some sleep as he has an early start tomorrow. _____2_____.
B: Oh, I see.
A: _____3_____. We do like to give our guest a chance of getting a good sleep. It’s well after twelve.
B: Oh, _____4_____ I do apologize. _____5_____. It’s just that we’ve signed a very important contract (合同). We were having a bit of a celebration.
A. I’m so sorry.
B. Can I help you?
C. Do you think it might be possible to ask your friends to be a little quieter?
D. Well, I heard a loud noise from our next door neighbour.
E. I’m the manager.
F. I suppose we were talking rather loudly.
(?????????Where is G? Besides there seems to be something wrong with the whole dialogue or the answer. Please check it.)